Monday, April 6, 2009

Okay. Right about now I'm regretting the whole BEDA decision. I'm worn out from cleaning and hosting a debate viewing party at my parents' house. It was a lot of fun.

I have some ideas I want to write about, but I don't think that I can do any of them justice with my current sleepiness, so I'll just make a quick comment on culture. We tend to think of cultures being contained within a country or maybe a region, but I think that we can, in some contexts, consider culture to be specific even to an individual family. There's something about eating a meal at somebody else's house that can be such an unusual experience. There's something about homemade food made by somebody who's homemade cooking you don't usually eat that just seems so...foreign. It's not the same thing as eating in a restaurant. You can get the sense that the food is familiar to someone, even though it isn't familiar to you. It has nothing to do with whether the food is good or if you like it or not, but something's are just different...

utensils? butter? firsts? drinks? flatware? courses? condiments? serving style? All your expectations are useless and you're left guessing what comes next. Anyway, I hope you get what you're saying because I'm too tired to explain any more thoroughly. So, good night and happy eating, wherever you may be.

No comments: