Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Did You Know?

I thought that tonight it might be fun to tell you a few things you might not know. Where to start...

  • Did you know that Pennyroyal, a type of mint used to make tea, is a uteral stimulant? The herb has been used in the past as an abortifacient . In the US, it is always marked with a warning to pregnant women. Pennyroyal tea is a very common kind of mint tea here and honestly, I miss peppermint, I think it tastes better. But what I really want to know is does Pennyroyal have any adverse effects on men?
  • Did you know that there is going to be a computer scientist strike in Spain next Tuesday? That's right! A nerd protest! They are talking about invalidating computer science degrees in Spain. I think it has something to do with nonstandard curricula. I'm not really sure though because I haven't really pored over the articles and the nuances are a little beyond me. If you happen to read Spanish, and want to know more::click here. (P.S. I can't find the article I was reading earlier so I just linked the first one I could find to provide more information. I haven't read it so who knows what it actually says!).
  • Did you know that I knocked out three of my work abroad assignments tonight? Probably not. But I did. I was aiming for four, but by the time I got to the fourth, I just couldn't take it anymore. The assignment starts out "It’s week five in your internship! Do you remember the PACE model – Purpose, Adaptability, Communication and Effort? " I've had quite enough for today of bending my thoughts around their mumbo jumbo so combined with the tone of the assignment, I just couldn't take it. I hate assignments with pep. I especially hate lame assignments with pep.

  • Did you know that this blog was never meant to be pink? In fact, if you've known me for very long, you know that pink has never been a color I've liked all that much. What happened is that I wanted to get the site up and running quickly. I wanted to customize a red and yellow theme (gah, I have no idea how I would have made that look good, but I wanted to...) to go with the Spanish flag, but I wanted to get my first post up more. This was one of blogger's templates and the layout was close to what I had in mind and pink wasn't so far off from red and so... there it is. A pink blog. I never would have guessed it. I guess we really do change as we get older...
  • Did you know mortadela is pretty much like Spanish bologna or some other processed deli meat? I inadvertently ordered a pizza with mortadela on it and I couldn't eat it. I was also the last person to get my food, as in, other people had already been done eating for a while before this very disappointing pizza landed in front of me at the restaurant. In other food related news, I'm going out for tapas tomorrow night with Bible study friends. I'm excited :)
  • Did you know I've lost weight? At least if the scale my flatmate has in the bathroom here is correct. I may have lost as much as ten pounds! It must be that I walk incredibly quickly almost everywhere I go.
  • Did you know that on keyboards here, the " is where I'm used to the @ being. There are also other differences. At work all day, I use a Spanish keyboard and I've gotten kind of adjusted to it. When I come home, I find myself typing things like, @This is a quotation@. Or I-m hungry. But at work, when I try to type a smiley like this ==> :) it comes out like this ==> Ñ=
  • Did you know that it's half-past midnight here? I should get to bed!
But before I go, I have an assignment for you all. One of my work abroad assignments is to come up with 10 questions that I want answered while I'm here. There doesn't seem to be any other specification about the questions except that they should be open ended (not yes or no answers, I guess). Then I have to "work on getting those questions answered!" Anything you want to know? Go crazy!

6 comments:

PFC ABM said...

How about: "Does anyone know why we are supposed to make up ten inane questions?"

LOL D-AK

Michael said...

I lost more than 25 pounds when I was there... its all the stupid walking. I tried to put it back on when I got home. I succeeded and some.
As far as questions go, how about: "Why is there no good Paella in Barcelona." Ask a local who hasn't lived Catalunya their whole lives and they'll probably have something to say on the matter.

Jeffrey J. Stables said...

Here's a question: What constitutes the Spanish national identity? (What would a Spaniard say makes him essentially Spanish?)

Madeleine said...

Why do you have to weigh your own fruit?

Where did the definite article in front of proper nouns in Catalan originate? Did it come from another language to which Catalan is related? What languages IS Catalan related to?

What about Spain makes it a better market for roast chicken flavored potato chips?

ok, so maybe the first and last ones aren't serious questions, but I'd really like to know about the chicken potato chips. :)

alejeather said...

Wow! You guys are great! Keep 'em comin'!

Meeks said...

So you shared with us what mortadela is. What I am curious about is is Ham York. What is ham york?

Another question.

Why is the lottery so popular in Spain?