Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A God Soon Forgotten

Plans Go Awry
Back when I was busy planning my trip to get my visa, UOC sent me a trip itinerary because I needed to know what dates I would be traveling for my application. They asked me to approve the flight and I did and they replied saying, "Okay, we are going to book!" Maybe it's a cultural difference. I thought that meant they were going to book the flight. Three days before departure, they sent me a new itinerary to approve. This one had a layover in Newark and left about 5 hours earlier. Good thing I wasn't planning on doing anything that day...

I had made arrangements to rent a room with a couple for my first week so that I could personally look for an apartment when I got to Barcelona. About 2 hours or so before leaving for the airport, while I was furiously finishing my packing, I got an email from them saying that they'd had trouble with the neighbors about renting the room just that day and that they would be unable to rent it to me. So there I was, a few hours from departure with nowhere to go on the other end. I prayed, "Ay, Dios, por favor, Dame algo! Please God, give me something!"

And what do you know? He was faithful to do just that. On my layover in Newark, I whipped out my computer to look for some solution and I had an email from the couple with details for a place that they had arranged for me to stay and it was actually going to be for less money than I would have paid for their room. I was thankful I had a place to go and that I didn't have anything to stress about for my transatlantic flight.

I saw his provision so much as a miracle, and it wasn't the only miracle of the day, but I'll tell that one later. I was claiming his promise that he would take care of me, knowing that it might not look like what I would expect, but that I was in his hands no matter what. And the next day, beginning the apartment search for real, I continued to pray for God's provision, but it's funny how quickly the flesh takes over. Once I got my bearings and started to get used to the hunt, I felt sufficient to do it on my own power. Earlier, I had been so sure God had provided, and soon I became so proud of what I had found.

I was lucky (ahem. blessed) to come across two apartments I would have liked to live in. And then spent a few days preoccupied over which I would take. And again I prayed, "Where do you want me to go, Lord?" And at the end I chose one. And I don't know if this is where God was telling me to go or not. Or really even if God tells us that sort of thing. or whether we can know if God tells us that sort of thing. He'll use me here, but did he want to use me in the other place? Can we frustrate God's plans like that? Will I remember Him when I get frustrated trying to drip-dry my socks for the first time? Maybe. But what about after it becomes habit?

2 comments:

Meeks said...

So, you found a place? Not entirely clear from your post.

I finally found Mario's contact info v,v sorry it took so long. I guess you do not need it if you are settled in though.

Meeks said...

Business aside.

I am so encouraged to hear that you are owning God's promises. It is terribly difficult to do that when you are not always being told to by some one or another. But the Lord has provided us with One who always encourages and always hears.

Pray to God and he will listen. Ask and He will answer. I have no doubt of this. God is not so distant as to ignore the mundane needs of our life. Just look at Matt 6:25-34. God knows we need food; He knows we need clothes. He also knows that we prefer that our socks be dry, especially those of us who simply cannot stand wet socks *caugh* Heather *caugh*
And though He knows, He still wants us to give thanks and glory to Him in all these things (1 Cor 10:31). And what better way is there to give thanks than by talking to Him.

Be a blessing wherever you are.
^_^